Softball's losing streak continues

Seton Hall Athletics

Seton Hall softball opened up the East Carolina Pirate Invitational with an 18-0 five-inning mercy loss to Virginia Tech (10-1) and then a 4-0 loss to East Carolina (6-4).

After starting off the season 5-0, the Pirates have struggled to catch their stride as they are currently on a seven game losing streak. Offense has really been an issue for the Hall who after scoring double digit run totals in four of their first five games, have only combined to score seven runs in their last five games.

Virginia Tech’s freshman pitcher Mikaela Aiken, threw a no-hitter in just five innings of work for the Hoyas in their 18-0 win.

The Hoyas jumped on the board early and did not look bad. Virginia Tech’s Kyle McGoldrick ripped an RBI double into right center field to score in the top of the first.

Seton Hall’s starter Danielle Destasco only faced 12 batters and allowed five earned runs on four hits and four walks through an inning and a third. She was relieved by pitcher Jordan Moses who allowed six earned runs, on five hits and three walks through one inning of work.

Jennifer Sanislo and Hannah Basile pitched and an inning and a third apiece and allowed a combined seven runs.

Lauren Fischer was the Pirates’ starting pitcher against East Carolina. Fischer pitched a complete game and allowed four earned runs, on seven hits, five walks, and struck out three.

Fortunately for the Pirates, they were able to string together a few hits in this game. Shortstop Yasmin Harrell led the Hall with two hits, going two for three. Danielle Destasco, centerfielder Sara Haefeli and third basemen Alexis Walkden all contributed one hit apiece.

However those six hits were not enough for the Pirates who were shut out again. East Carolina starting pitcher pitched a complete game shutout, striking out three and just walking three batters.

Seton Hall fell behind early in the first inning after Nicole Cheek hit an RBI single as the second batter of the inning. The Hall were not able to rally and lost 4-0.

The Pirates will look to right the ship Sunday as they will once again play Virginia Tech and East Carolina as the East Carolina Pirate Invitational concludes.

You can reach Matthew Rachek at matthew.rachek@student.shu.edu