MBB: Whitehead out a 'few weeks'

USA Today

Talk about getting bad news on Christmas Eve.

Seton Hall’s Isaiah Whitehead is out for at least a few weeks after suffering a stress fracture in the second and third metatarsal bones in his right foot. The standout freshman guard announced the news himself on his Twitter page.

“Stress fracture out for a few weeks but I know & believe my team will do great without me can't wait to get back on the court,” he tweeted.

Whitehead has been a force for the Pirates all season, averaging 26 minutes, 11.9 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.3 steals per game. Now the blue and white will be without their Big East Preseason Rookie of the Year and two-time Rookie of the Week as they head into conference play.

The Hall will host Maine at Walsh Gymnasium on Saturday, Dec. 27 before kicking off Big East competition against No. 17 St. John’s on New Year’s Eve. After that the Pirates will take on No. 7 Villanova. Should Whitehead’s injury linger, he could miss games against Xavier and Creighton.

Recovery time from stress fractures can vary based on the individual and can lead to full breaks if not treated.

The injury comes at a tough time for the Pirates. With two games against nationally ranked conference opponents looming, the Pirates will need other players to step up in Whitehead’s absence as they try to crack the Top 25 themselves.

It should be noted that Khadeen Carrington and Desi Rodriguez have been the first players off the bench for Willard this season.

Seton Hall is 9-2 and most recently lost to Georgia on the road by a score of 65-47.

Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @GPhillips2727.