Complex Culture: Styles to start a movement

Complex Culture is a clothing line started by Quinton Briggs, a junior occupational therapy major. Briggs intended Complex Culture to be for all types of people; the goal of the company is to bring together different artists who consider themselves complex.

It all started in high school for Briggs and a couple of his friends. They had a joint clothing line called “No Love University.” When his main partner went to college in Arizona, that company dissolved and in the summer of his freshman year, he got the idea for Complex Culture.

“I really just started it because I’m into a bunch of different stuff, painting, music, all types of art,” Briggs said. “Complex Culture, like complex individuals are somebody who has their hands in a bunch of different art forms and are very complex. I just wanted to start a group of people who are all alike and show that through my clothing line.”

He said, “I look at it as more than just a clothing line, I look at it as a movement as well.”

The focus of Complex Culture is more on the message of the company than turning a profit. He said this clothing line is for complex individuals who are emerged in different art forms.

He hopes for all types of artists to wear his clothes when they are performing or creating their art. “I have a couple friends on campus who rap or do music. I like for them to wear my clothing line when they do that,” Briggs said.

Robert Santos, a junior philosophy major, likes to wear these clothes but he mentioned that the message behind the clothes stresses non-discrimination and that anyone can wear them.

In an effort to get the name out there as well as give back to the community, Briggs hopes to organize a can drive around Thanksgiving or toy drive around Christmas.

The clothing line is sold online at ComplexCulture13.bigcartel.com and at a Philadelphia Store called “The Image.” The line includes t-shirts for $25, hoodies and long-sleeved tees for $30 to 40, hats and windbreakers. The clothing features unique graphics designed by Briggs himself while special touches on the clothes include things like a short zipper up the sides of a piece. It is just menswear right now but, in the spirit of the message, Briggs is trying to venture out to female clothing as well.

His ultimate goal is to expand the line so that he is able to generate revenue to perpetuate his passion for Complex Culture.

Emily Balan can be reached at emily.balan@student.shu.edu.