Women's golf returns to action

@SHU_wgolf

The Seton Hall Women’s Golf team will open up their schedule this weekend, at the Bucknell Bison Invitational hosted by Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pa.

The team has lost four members, but is excited to be back, stronger than ever, as they look to have another strong season. Head coach Sara Doell certainly feels good about the team entering the season, but she does not like to use a specific term that is often brought up. “I don’t like using expectations; we just take care of the process and see what happens,” coach said.

Seton Hall is coming off an incredible season in which they won the Big East conference in just their fourth season. This year’s team may be even more talented according to Coach Doell. “I am extremely excited, the talent from the freshman we have is great, what I have seen this summer looks to be more talented than last year,” Doell said.

The team has five returning members in seniors McKenzie Cutter, Ali Kruse and Erin McClure and juniors Megan Tenhundfeld and Karlie Zabrosky, along with the addition of two freshmen Macky Fouse and Cassie Pantelas. Pantelas qualified second for Bucknell which made Coach Doell really happy.

All Pirates in this weekend’s lineup have experience at Bucknell with the exception of new freshman Pantelas. Cutter will look to improve upon the 33-over-par that she shot last year at Bucknell and Zabrosky who finished in third place among Pirates with a 19th place finish at 26-over-par will aim to improve that score.

Veterans Kruse and McClure should feel comfortable on the course as they both captured top-five individual performances last year. Kruse finished in third place with a 13-over-par while McClure followed in fourth at 14-over-par. Coach Doell had exciting words to say about the senior leaders as they head into the first tournament of the season. “Erin and Ali looked awesome this summer and they both had internships but were still able to practice a lot and look just as good as they did at the end of last season.”

The Pirates, who have had great success at this tournament, tying for second in both 2012 and 2013 will look for another high finish.

The team feels confident going into Bucknell and they love playing the course Doell said. “Bucknell is a great tournament to start off plus it has the weakest field.” So as a team that played well there last year and seems to be even more talented this year, big things should be on the horizon.

The whole team travels to Lewisburg for the Bucknell Invitational. There will be a five- man lineup. First will be senior Ali Kruse, second will be freshman Cassie Pantelas, third will be senior Erin McClure, fourth will be junior Karlie Zabrosky and fifth will be senior McKenzie Cutter.

Tom Zappia can be reached at thomas.zappia@student.shu.edu.