SHU Men’s Soccer Team Looking to Bounce Back against Princeton

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

The Men’s Soccer team will be looking to get back on the winning of things side against Princeton on Sunday at 1 p.m. The Pirates are ready to bounce back from a tough 3-2 loss to Delaware. The Pirates held a 2-1 lead, but lost it in the second half of the match when the Blue Hens scored two goals in a span of 38 seconds. Not giving up easy goals will be key in the upcoming match against Princeton.

“We just came from a game in which we gave up three goals, which is something we’ve been trying to work on,” head coach Gerson Echeverry said “Some of the goals you can say came from not so much them breaking us down, but losing a little bit of focus.”

The Princeton Tigers will not be an easy team. Last season, the Tigers handed the blue and white a 1-0 loss on the road. The Pirates are all too familiar with the Tigers and their playing style.

“They’re a very organized team,” coach Echeverry said. “A team that likes to keep possession of the ball and they move it really, really well.”

Stopping a team like the Tigers requires a disruption to their offense. The Pirates will look to do just that to gain the win against Princeton. Defense and ball control will be the keys to victory on Sunday.

“Intensity on defense and us being able keep the ball will be an important part of our success,” coach Echeverry said.

Although the Pirates will look to keep the Tigers from scoring, offense is what the team knows best and will look to utilize that against them.

“We’re and offensive-minded team.” coach Echeverry said. “That’s the nature of our program and that’s the nature of myself and our staff.”

On the offensive side of the ball the Pirates will be looking for sophomore Samuel Geiler to heat up on Sunday. Geiler’s scoring ability has been greatly missed and will certainly help against Princeton.

“We need Sammy to wake up a little right now,” coach Echeverry said. “He was our last year’s leading scorer and he hasn’t scored yet.”

The Pirates would like to see Geiler score on Sunday, but have gotten some help from other players. Seniors Kai Greene and Victor Manosalvas are the team’s leading scorers and will try to continue their scoring success against the Tigers.

“We do have Kai and Victor that have taken some of the scoring load,” coach Echeverry said.

Balance formula will be the key to victory over Princeton. Playing on both sides of the ball will be vital to any success versus Princeton.

“We need to be a little more balanced for us to get some goals and hopefully be able to pull of some victories,” coach Echeverry said.

Javon Glenn can be reached at javon.glenn@student.shu.edu or on twitter @javong25.