Seton Hall men’s soccer suffers another disappointing loss

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

The Pirates saw a few leads fade away on Sunday’s afternoon matchup with the Princeton University Tigers, who stole the game with 28 seconds left in regulation, to win by a 5-4 final.

In a situation all too familiar for the Pirates, Princeton scored the first goal in this in-state rivalry game. Senior Jason Wellington would be charged with a handball, which resulted in the free kick that would set up Princeton to head the ball in for the game’s first tally.

Not long after, the Pirates found themselves on the opposing field attacking aggressively. A deflected shot off Princeton goalkeeper, B en Hummel would set up senior Mateusz Brela to shoot the ball off a pass from fellow senior Andrew Lomanto, to tie the game.

The defense would collapse as the first half closed leading to a Princeton goal to take the lead again in the 39th minute. The Pirates would trail in goals and shots on goal in the first half, 8-6.

The noticeable intensity at the start of the second half led to a pair of back-to-back goals from redshirt senior Victor Manosalvas, the first of which was scored on a penalty kick at the 46th minute.

The Tigers would find themselves in some penalty trouble in the second half, fouling Kai Greene, as he made a move for the net from a pass from senior Mateusz Brela. The resulting penalty kick would be Manosalvas’ third goal of the season and tie the game for the Pirates.

Less than ten minutes later Manosalvas’ fourth goal on the year would give the Pirates their first lead of the game. Sophomore Samuel Geiler took control of the ball and connected a pass to Greene who drove the ball past the Tiger’s defense. Manosalvas would receive the assist from Greene and found himself with two defenders in front of the net, but got a clear path for the Pirate goal.

Unable to hold the lead, Princeton would score off a header in the 66th minute to tie the game once again.

Greene would then capitalize off a pass from Junior Eric Lagg in front of the opponent’s goal. Greene’s third goal of the season would give the Pirate’s their final lead of the game.

A Pirate foul inside the penalty box, would lead to a goal on a penalty kick by Cameron Porter to knot it up for the fourth time.

With less than 30 seconds left, the Tigers would prove to be too much as they battled down field to score and end the game.

Seton Hall (1-2-1) will look to bounce back from back-to-back losses this week in the first of a three- game home series. The Pirates will host No. 22 George Mason University on Friday, September 19 at 4 p.m.

Rene Pereira can be reached at rene.pereira@student.shu.edu or on twitter @ReneRene24. For complete coverage of Seton Hall athletics, follow @setoniansports.