Provost announces 2014 commencement speaker

The 2014 commencement speaker and honorary degree recipient is Mary Tedeschi Eberstadt, author and senior fellow of the Ethics and Public Policy Center, as announced by the Provost in an email sent on Friday, April 11 at 5:21 p.m.

The email stated Eberstadt is the author of Adam and Eve after the Pill: Paradoxes of the Sexual Revolution; The Loser Letters: A Comic Tale of Life, Death and Atheism; How the West Really Lost God: A New Theory of Secularization; and Home-Alone America: The Hidden Toll of Day Care, Behavioral Drugs and Other Parent Substitutes. She is also the editor of the 2007 anthology Why I Turned Right: Leading Baby Boom Conservatives Chronicle their Political Journeys.

"Mrs. Eberstadt was a Research Fellow at the Hoover Institute from 2002 to 2013," the email said. "Between 1990 and 1998, she was executive editor of the National Interest magazine. From 19985 to 1987, she was a member of the Policy Planning Staff of the U.S. State Department, a speechwriter for Secretary of State George P. Shultz and a special assistant to Ambassador Jeane J. Kirkpatrick at the U.S. Mission to the United Nations. She was also managing editor at the Public Interest."

Eberstadt graduated magna cum laude in 1983 from Cornell University, according to the email.

Commencement will be held at the IZOD Center on Monday, May 19 at 11 a.m.

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu.