Parking deck, Stafford to be done in fall

The big trucks carrying slabs of concrete for the parking deck construction will be gone by the end of the week, according to University officials.

Vice president of Administrations Dennis Garbini and associate vice president of Facilities and Operations John Signorello in addition, said the parking deck is still on schedule to be finished by the fall 2014 semester, adding 566 new spaces.

Garbini thanked the University community for their cooperation during the time of the truck traffic.

"The major deliveries are done now, so there will be less disruption...life returns to normal," Garbini said. "And coming in the fall, 566 new spaces."

Signorello said the yellow barriers set up across from the fitness center also will be taken down when the trucks are gone.

Stafford Hall will be completed in the fall, as well, according to the administrators.

Signorello said the University has kept the original cornerstone face to make a "historical nook" to put in the corner of the main lobby of the building.

He said artifacts and history of Stafford may be placed in this area, too.

The renovated Aquinas dormitory will also be ready for the late August move-in date for the 2014-15 year.

The lottery for Aquinas residents to secure a new room on the third and fourth floors took place on Tuesday and room placements were made.

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu.