New drama turns viewers into 'Believers'

With high strung action from the start; a family driving through a winding road in the woods is targeted by another vehicle on a dark, rainy night. As the car crash settles, we hear the father say, "they found her," speaking of the young, innocent girl in the backseat.

In general, the new NBC scripted drama "Believe", created by Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Friedman, depicts the relationship of a girl, Bo (Johnny Sequoyah), and an escaped convict, Tate (Jake McLaughlin), as different entities try to harness the special powers Bo possesses. They believe whoever can control these powers, seemingly uncontrollable thus far, can control the world.

A special task force headed by Winter (Delroy Lindo), and Channing (Jamie Chung), helps Tate protect Bo. Primarily in the premiere, they aid Tate in rescuing Bo from her vulnerable position in the hospital, where she was taken after the car crash. But first, they break him out of prison on the brink of his death sentence being carried out. They assist and direct him in protecting her from ill-intentioned villains, the antagonists of the show, Skouras (Kyle MacLachlan), and a female assassin working for him.

"Believe" is directed in a very realistic style; it is as if some third party person is experiencing the scene as if they are there. The camera angle are unorthodox and provides an interesting perspective for the viewers of the scenes. The acting is very believable; none of the characters seem forced or try to over act their parts.

"Believe" constantly develops the relationship between Tate and Bo. The meeting in the hospital already alludes to a special connection between the convict and the innocent child, allowing for a development of relationship throughout the rest of the series. It is a special and touching moment as he approaches her sleeping form; he is rough and unapproachable, but already Bo is able to break down his tough exterior. They can speak openly and honestly with each other; it's relayed to the viewer as affectionate.

"Believe" is a serious drama with much action, little comedy, yet is redeemed by a hopeful residual feeling. This show is something the viewer can dive into and immerse themselves in with sympathy for the characters and intrigue as to what will happen next. A touch of the supernatural theme makes this show that much more likable. Tune in to NBC at 9 p.m. on Sunday nights to watch Tate and Bo face adversity and grow together.

Emily Balan can be reached at emily.balan@student.shu.edu.