New women's basketball coach to be announced Wednesday

A new coach for the women's basketball team has been hired and will be announced the new tomorrow at 11 a.m.

Seton Hall University President Dr. A. Gabriel Esteban and Director of Athletics Pat Lyons will hold a press conference in Walsh Gymnasium in the Richie Regan Recreation Center on the school's campus.

The new coach will be only the fourth head women's basketball coach since the program began in 1973-74. The incoming coach will replace Anne Donovan, who coached the team for the past three seasons.

Donovan announced her decision to step down on Jan. 3, 2012 after taking the head coaching job of the WNBA's Connecticut Sun. She said that she would finish the 2012-13 season at the helm of the Pirates.

In 2012 the Hall made big improvements in Donovan's last season, finishing their campaign with an 11-20 record and a 5-11 record in the Big East, its best conference record since 2007. The team advanced to the second round of the Big East Championship before falling to St. John's.

The Pirates will also be entering a new conference with the new coach, as the new 10-team Big East will debut on July 1, 2013.

The Hall will join Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Villanova and Xavier.

David Heim can be reached at david.heim@student.shu.edu. He can also be found on Twitter @davidheim12.