SHU designates programs as Centers of Excellence

Progress has been made on Seton Hall's Strategic Plan, From Strength to Strength, which calls for selective investment in high-performing and high-potential academic programs, according to an email sent out by Dr. Larry Robinson, Provost and Executive Vice President.

Robinson said that the progress made resulted in three academic programs being designated as Centers of Excellence. They are the Accounting program and the Finance program in the Stillman School of Business and the graduate programs in the Whitehead School of Diplomacy.

"Though all applicants for this distinction among the schools and colleges showed merit," Robinson said. "The applications submitted by these three programs were especially compelling and thoroughly addressed the criteria established for designation."

Robinson said these programs will serve as "flagships" for what it means to be a part of the Centers of Excellence.

"This designation will serve as framework for investments resulting in additional academic and instructional budgetary support commencing in the spring and continuing through the fall," Robinson said.

Senior Associate Provost Joan Guetti said for this spring, the University will look to these centers for proposals for additional assistance that will enhance their academic profiles.

"The faculty in these programs may request additional travel funds or seek opportunities for increased conference participation," Guetti said. "For next fall, there may be opportunities for additional release or appointments of distinguished faculty."

Ambassador Thomas Melady, Dean of the Whitehead School of Diplomacy, said this designation will help the School bring its programs to a "still higher level of excellence through additional resources and funding."

"I am thrilled and not at all surprised by the news that the Whitehead School's graduate program has been named a Center of Excellence," Melady said. "I continue to be impressed by the caliber of students the School attracts and by the prestigious academic and practical opportunities the School provides to its student body, in New York, at the UN, in Washington D.C. and around the world. This is an exciting time to be a student at the Whitehead School."

Dean of the Stillman School of Business Dr. Joyce Strawser said they (the school) are thrilled that the Accounting and Finance programs were designated as Centers.

"These programs have long been recognized for their quality and accomplishments," Strawser said. "And this designation will enable us to better support the faculty and students whose hard work drives their excellence."

She added that the concept of designating Centers of Excellence is built upon the principles taught in the Accounting and Finance programs.

"We can and should measure performance, and we should invest in initiatives that have the ability to generate positive outcomes," Strawser said.

According to Robinson, not as many programs that he would have liked to see apply, submitted an application.

"In the years to come I hope and expect to encounter a two or three-fold increase in our applicant pool for this unique distinction," Robinson said. "While many programs applied, several that would have been considered strongly for this honor did not."

He said later in the spring, timelines will be announced for the second round of designations, to which he hoped more programs apply. The designation of being a Center lasts for three years, after such time, programs may reapply and should be prepared to demonstrate the benefits and progress that result from the designation.

"In the next few weeks, my office will be in contact with representatives of the designated programs to prepare for a comprehensive assessment process and to outline a plan for investment," Robinson said.

He said he expects to have updates on the progress of the Strategic Plan later in the semester.

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu.