Cryan's closes after 30 years

As Seton Hall students return from break, the news is spreading that on Jan. 1, 2013, the local South Orange bar Cryan's Beef and Ale House permanently closed its doors.

The Alternative Press of South Orange wrote about the closing that the Cryan's Facebook page said the bar would be shut down after 30 years of business due to the recession and the poor economy.

According to the Alternative Press, the liquor license of owner Jimmy Cryan was preserved.

Mayor of South Orange Alex Torpey said he is sad to see Cryan's go and will miss the bar and owner Jimmy Cryan.

"Cryan's will certainly be missed by our community," Torpey said. "They have been a local landmark for many years, and have contributed greatly to the culture and vibrancy of the town, as well as having supported many local community groups and charities."

Torpey said one of the fundraisers Cryan's hosted was for the South Orange Rescue Squad late last year, and he described it as "historic."

Torpey added that Jimmy Cryan has been an active member of the South Orange Parking Authority.

Junior Kara Caroccio said she was a little confused over the whole issue and was not exactly sure why the bar closed, however she said she it was home to many memories and will be greatly missed.

"I'm so sad," Caroccio said. "My first night ever at Seton Hall as a transfer, I went to Cryan's for college night and that's how I made all of my friends."

Caroccio said she believes Cryan's is a Seton Hall tradition.

Sophomore Carl Meixsell said he is on the Seton Hall Club Hockey Team and will especially miss Cryan's because they sponsored his team.

"We had our team banquet there last year and it was tons of fun," Meixsell said. "The hockey team will definitely miss Cryan's."

According to the Alternative Press, the location of where Jimmy Cryan will set up the next Cryan's is unknown.

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu.