Biggio elligible for Hall of Fame

Former Pirate Craig Biggio was named to this year's 37- man ballot for the Baseball Hall of Fame, which was announced Wednesday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America (BBWAA).

Biggio is one of 24 newcomers to the ballot after a 20 year career. At the point of his retirement Big­gio left Major League Baseball as one of 28 players with 3,000 hits and a career .281 batting average.

"It would be a very, very re­warding feeling if it was to hap­pen," Biggio told mlb.com. "I'll just cross my fingers and hope­fully next year, come Jan. 9, I'll get a phone call."

During his run at the Hall from 1985-87 Biggio played with pure dominance as the team's starting catcher. Biggio lead the Pirates to their first ever Big East champi­onship in 1987. He left the Pirates with a career .342 batting aver­age, 27 home runs, 148 RBIs and 90 steals, he was inducted into the Seton Hall Athletics Hall of Fame in 1996. His number was retired last spring.

Biggio was a two time First Team All-Big East selection, NJBCA Player of the Year in 1986 and First Team All-America by Baseball America in 1987. Big­gio ranks in the top 10 of Pirate history in 20 categories, including being the career leader in triples and second in runs scored. Af­ter his junior season Biggio was drafted 22nd overall by the Astros in 1987.

To be inducted to the Hall of Fame, Biggio needs to acquire at least 75 percent of the votes. The 600-plus eligible voters have un­til Dec. 31 to look over the ballot and submit up to 10 candidates. BBWAA members with 10 years or more of covering baseball are eligible to vote and the voting will be announced on Jan. 9.

Those elected will be inducted into the Hall during the annual ceremony in Cooperstown, N.Y., on July 28.

Dennis Chambers can be reached at dennis.chambers@ student.shu.edu