Prayer service and candlelight vigil held in honor of 9/11 victims

Twenty-two candles lit up the 9/11 memorial outside of Boland Hall on Tuesday, Sept. 11 in remembrance of those who lost their lives 11 years ago. Students gathered in the Boland Chapel for a prayer service at 8:30 p.m. followed by a ceremony out- side of Campus Ministry offices.

"This is the first time we did a service like this," Brother Adam Dupr?© said. The event was run by the Friends of Don Bos co and consisted of a reverent prayer service in the Boland Hall chapel followed by a procession upstairs with electric candles and written reflections to offer at a moment of silence at the 9/11 cross out- side of Campus Ministry offices.

The service was open for any student "hoping to walk out with a sense of peace and serenity" Megan Shane, student member of Friends of Don Bosco said. Around 25 students attended and enjoyed ice cream afterwards by the glass doors of Boland Hall.

"It was nice to have a small community get together... it was a very beautiful thing" freshman Morgan Lubbe said.

Remembering 9/11 is important for the students of Seton Hall, the site of ground zero is so close to campus. "It really hits home when you're in such close proximity to Manhattan," Dupr?© said.

Students showed reverence and unity throughout the day in various spiritual activities offered on campus. All regular weekday masses were dedicated to reflecting on the lives lost and loved ones affected by the attack.

People gathered at 11:30 a.m. in front of the cross in memorial to 9/11 as President Esteban spoke and offered a wreath in respect to the lives that were lost. The cross outside of Boland is made from a steal beam from the site of ground zero, the Rev. Stanley Gomes said.

Students who sought a sense of reverence to reflect on 9/11 had ample opportunities to join together as a community on campus. "We wanted to pray for peace... for people to heal on the inside" Dupr?© said.

Mary Marshall can be reached at mary.marshall@student.shu.edu