Fraternities help fight against cancer

Fraternities Alpha Sigma Pi and Alpha Phi teamed up last week to raise money to help fight childhood cancer.

On Tuesday Sept. 11 and Wednesday Sept. 12, the two organizations ran a lemonade stand, Alex's Lemonade Stand, on the campus green.

According to Alex's lemonade stand's website, Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation started with a 4-year- old cancer patient, Alexandra Scott.

In 2000 Scott opened her own lemonade stand in her front yard to raise money to help find a cure for childhood cancer, according to the foundation's website.

The foundation has now spread nationwide and is sponsored by many well-known corporations, such as Volvo, Applebees and ToysRUs, Volvo being the very first sponsor of this foundation, according to the website. The two people responsible for setting up this fundraiser were the heads of the fraternities, Sean Riordan and Erin Egan.

The president of Alpha Phi Erin Egan said the event was fun and she enjoyed doing the fundraiser with Alpha Sigma Pi.

"We had fun with the men of Alpha Sigma Pi while doing so (raising money)," Egan said. According to Egan and Riordan, Seton Hall's Alex's Lemonade Stand raised over $500 toward the fight against childhood cancer.

For more information or to make any donation, go to www.alexslemonade. org or go to the foundation's Twitter, Facebook or YouTube page.

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu.