No time for spring fever: Why students can't just live in the 'now'

It is only the third week of the spring semester, and we are already being bombarded with thoughts about our plans for the rest of the year.

Not only do we have to be concerned about the massive amount of reading and assignments being thrown our way by professors, now we have think ahead to what we will be doing in both the summer and the fall.

Some deadlines for summer internships are already right around the corner, and we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of spring. I have already had to submit applications for four internships by Jan. 31, and the job would not even start for another four months!

Summer jobs are also a challenge for college students. If you do not start early, you are likely to lose out to the hundreds of other moneyless college students coming home for summer vacation.

But what about seven months from now and the fall semester? Seton Hall recently sent out housing information, and the due date for the deposit is right around the corner. Many students do not know yet what their plans for housing are. Some debate whether they should put down the deposit just to be safe.

Instead of focusing on enjoying and getting through their last semester, graduating seniors also are pushed to look to the future. Applying to jobs and graduate schools as well as taking the GREs are just a few of the things that they have to consider.

Whatever happened to living in the ‘now'? With all this talk of the not-so-distant future, it is hard to slow down and just take a breath.

While all of this future planning is imperative, it is also important to live in the moment. Enjoying friends and family, getting current homework assignments done and taking time to relax are key to having a memorable and successful semester.

Kristyn Lyncheski is a junior journalism major from Gladstone, NJ. She can be reached at kristyn.lyncheski@student.shu.edu.