Women's basketball going for first Big East win against DePaul

The Seton Hall women's basketball team looks to get its first conference win against DePaul, who the Pirates have not defeated since the Blue Demons joined the Big East in 2005, Saturday at 2 p.m. in Walsh Gymnasium.

DePaul is ranked No. 23 in the AP poll this week, and the Hall has not beaten any ranked teams this season.

The Pirates are counting on junior guard Brittany Morris to continue her offense surge. Morris is averaging 12.5 points per game, the second highest on the team after senior guard Jasmine Crew, who averages 18.4 points per game.

"We need some consistency from someone other than Jasmine Crew, and Britt's been that for us and now Terry is stepping up to be that for us," Donovan said.

Junior forward Terry Green scored 13 points in the Pirates' 70-66 loss to Syracuse last Sunday.

"Terry has stepped up pretty consistently in the last half dozen games and given us a big scoring punch. We've toyed with her starting and coming off the bench," head coach Anne Donovan said.

The Pirates will have to watch junior guard Anna Martin, who leads the Blue Demons with 18.6 points per game. She is also shooting over 44.2 percent from behind the arc.

Although Seton Hall is on an eight-game losing streak, their losing margin is by an average of 15 points, heavily influenced by their 38-point loss to No. 2 Notre Dame.

"We are taking a step in the right direction," Crew said. "I feel really positive about that. I'm going to make sure the girls around me take that same positivity."

DePaul is on a three game losing streak of their own after a 65-64 loss to Rutgers on Tuesday night.

The Blue Demons will be looking to bounce back from these three losses, especially the loss to Rutgers, after leading for most of the second half.

Similarly, the Pirates will be "motivated" by their close loss to Syracuse in which they "played 38 minutes of really good, hard-nosed, confident, competitive basketball," Donovan said.

Depaul enters the game with an 15-5 overall record and a 3-3 conference record while Seton Hall is 7-14 overall after their 57-45 loss to South Florida Wednesday night.

Following DePaul, the Hall will go on the road and the Villanova Wildcats, Tuesday night at 7.

Villanova is tied for ninth place in the Big East with a 13-7 overall record and a 3-4 record in Big East play with a game against No. 14 Louisville on Saturday.

Heading into their game against the Cardinals, Villanova has won just two of their last six games but defeated Cincinnati 62-53 in their last game.

The Wildcats are led by junior Laura Sweeney, who tops the team with 15 points per game and eight rebounds a game.

Sweeney is doing this while shooting exactly 50 percent from the field.

Stephanie Vedral can be reached at stephanie.vedral@student.shu.edu