Theodore leads Seton Hall's 94-73 rout of DePaul

When Seton Hall needs a big basket senior Jordan Theodore is there.

"As the point guard I'm the general and I'm supposed to control the whole flow of the game," Theodore said. "I can sense when we need a bucket and when the team needs me."

With DePaul on a 15-2 run cutting the Pirates lead to 68-59, Theodore scored the next nine points for the Hall apart of a 9-2 run to put give the Pirates a 16 point lead en-route to the 94-73 victory at home over the Blue Demons.

"I think (Theodore) is turning himself into one of the premier players, not just point guards, but players, in the country," head coach Kevin Willard said. "And that's what good players do."

The win puts the Hall at 4-1 in the Big East for the first time since the 1999-2000 season. Overall the Pirates are 15-2 on the year.

Four players scored in double figures for the Hall with Theodore and senior Herb Pope recording double-doubles. Theodore matched a season high with 26 points while also dishing out 11 assists, and Pope scored 11 points to go with 13 rebounds.

"It makes it a lot easier for me," Pope said of Theodore's play. "I just have to worry about rebounding and playing defense."

Sophomore Fuquan Edwin led all scorers and set a new career high with 28 points in the win, with freshman Aaron Cosby rounding out the players in double figures with 15 points.

"He's our ‘X' factor," Theodore said about Edwin. "People are starting to realize that they can't just key on me and Pope. Fuquan is really killing them and Aaron is making shots."

As a team the Pirates shot 58.7 percent from while holding DePaul to 34.3 percent from the field.

The Hall held a 51-34 halftime lead and started the second half on a 15-8 run to increase their lead to 24 points behind three three-pointers from Cosby.

"Just a part of me getting comfortable," Cosby said. "My teammates are making me comfortable and finding me open."

However, with 15:16 remaining in the game DePaul started to make their comeback attempt with sophomore Brandon Young making a lay-up. Those two points started a 17-2 run for DePaul to cut the Pirates lead to 68-59.

"Defense," Pope said about the Pirates ability to hold the lead compared to last year. "Have to understand that as the though gets going, instead of expanding our defense like last year and trying individually to get a stop but collectively as a team we try to get a stop."

That's when Theodore put the Pirates on the back to clinch the victory for the Hall. From when the Blue Demons cut the Pirates lead to nine points to the end of the game the Hall outscored DePaul 26-14.

The Pirates return to the court Friday against South Florida on the road. Tip-off is set for 7:00 p.m.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at Stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu