The sixth man on the court can help the Pirates

The men's basketball team recently became acquainted with a new kind of fan - the Speedo-clad sixth man. In the front page story this week, head coach Kevin Willard and many of the players reacted after a strong Pirates win against Auburn, where men from the swim team showed plenty of skin with painted pirate blue on their chests.

This might have been the most interesting instance of the student section strengthening the home-court advantage at The Rock. Regardless of the novelty of scantily clad men in Speedos, the tactic worked. Willard noticed it, players noticed it, and Auburn undoubtedly noticed it. This should serve as a lesson to all Seton Hall basketball fans - we do have the power to support our team, even if it consists solely of heckling a team from the stands.

The Setonian commends school spirit, especially when it is as powerful as it was against Auburn. While it is not feasible, or at the least expected, that every game will turn out the same Pirate pride and passion, it is important that students help the team wherever necessary. Big East basketball is still one of the most elite athletic events in college sports, at least until conference realignment rears its ugly head. Until then students need to be the sixth man on the court and create the home-court advantage at The Rock.

Seton Hall basketball season is arguably one of the most exciting times of year at the Hall. Experiencing Big East play is even more exciting. With the Pirates off to a winning start on the season heading in to Big East play, the sixth man on the court will be increasingly important, Speedo or not.