Women's basketball adds four recruits for 2012-13

The Seton Hall women's basketball team received national letters of intent from four players this week, ranking its 2012-2013 recruiting class 33rd in the nation.

"Our staff has done a tremendous job with the signees in this recruiting class," head coach Anne Donovan said. "I am very excited about the talent we are bringing in and am confident that all of these student-athletes will raise the level of our program."

Forward Sidney Cook, guard Jasmine McCall, wing players Shannise Heady and Tabatha Richardson-Smith have all signed to play for the Pirates.

Before verbally committing to the Hall, Cook, the 6-foot-2 forward from Parkton, N.C., also considered Georgetown and Georgia Tech, according to ESPNHS.com.

Several recruiting websites say Cook is a consensus top-100 player who can play in the post or wing.

Last year, Cook was invited to the USA Basketball U17 National Team trials.

"[Cook's] experience and skill level will improve our post play tremendously," Donovan said. "I expect that her size, strength and ability to score will help Sidney make significant contributions in her freshman year."

McCall was one of the Pirates' first commitments. According to SHUPirates.com, McCall is known to be explosive off the dribble and a strong offensive threat, averaging 17.1 points per game at Manalapan High School.

Heady (Hazel Crest, Ill.) and Richardson-Smith (Bay City, Texas) are wing players, standing at 5-foot-11 and 6-foot-0 respectively, who have been recruited for their offensive skills.

"Her (Heady's) defensive skills will be utilized immediately, and her ability to get to the rim will fill a void in our current offensive system," Donovan said.

Krissy Wrobel can be reached at wrobelkr@shu.edu.