Men's soccer team finishes season in bottom of conference

The men's soccer team ended their season on Tuesday afternoon with a 4-0 loss at No. 19 Notre Dame.

The Pirates concluded the season with an overall record of 5-11-2, a two win increase from the previous season.

The team could not improve their Big East win total though, as they only won one conference game with no ties for the second straight season. The 1-8-0 finish placed the Hall dead last in the Big East Blue Division.

The Pirates began the season 3-2-2, including a 0-0 draw against No. 1 Maryland at home on Sept. 20.

The season looked promising as the Pirates surpassed their previous season win total with their fourth win on the season in a 1-0 victory over Columbia on Sept. 27.

The Pirates, however, went on to lose seven straight games, by a combined score 26-5.

It looked as though the team would not win a match in the Big East, as their final three games were against ranked opponents in No. 25 West Virginia and No. 3 Connecticut at home and on the road at No. 19 Notre Dame.

However, the Pirates shocked the No. 3 Huskies in a 1-0 game, Oct. 30 on senior day.

Freshman forward Kai Green scored the lone goal of the game in the 20th minute.

Green was named BigAppleSoccer.com Men's College Player of the Week this past week for his deciding goal in the 1-0 win.

Head coach Mafred Schellscheidt said he was joking around with assistant coaches post game, saying the Pirates play well against ranked opponents.

"We should be playing No.1 teams more often to come up with a better game," Schellscheidt said.

Schellscheidt said that he wants the team to work hard on the field, in practice, as well as in training for next season for the returning Pirates

"It's about development and getting better," Schellscheidt said.

The Pirates may look to work on scoring during the offseason, as they were outscored 41-17 during the season, and were shut out eight times.

On two occasions the Pirates went two consecutive games without scoring a goal.

The Pirates are losing only four seniors, including team captain and defender Joe Baker.

The Hall will also lose midfielder/ forward Bradley Kerstetter, midfielder/forward Giovanni Zammiello, and forward Michael Dietze.

Most of the young team will not only be back but so will leading scorer, Max Garcia, who scored five goals on the season.

Also will returning is goalkeeper Anthony Reichwaldt, who earned Big East Goalkeeper of the Week honors earlier this season.

Schecllscheidt said that the team looks to work on winning during the season.

"There's no question that winning adds to good morale," Schellscheidt said. "We'll go in with an upbeat spirit."

TJ Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu

Follow T.J. on Twitter @TJBRENNAN_SHU