Women's soccer looking to bounce back

The Pirates will play their final home games of the season this weekend as they play Notre Dame on Friday and DePaul on Sunday at Owen T. Carroll Field.

The Pirates are coming off a two-game losing streak to St. John's, 2-1, on Oct. 2 and Syracuse, 4-1, Oct. 4.

The Pirates lost in the last minute of their game against St. John's as Jen Leaverton scored on an empty net after goalkeeper Elizabeth Bond came out to defend and collided with a defender.

Head coach Kazbek Tambi said his team played well.

"They (Pirates) played a solid game," Tambi said. "It's unfortunate we lost."

Most of the game was spent in the Pirate's half of the field, and the Orange capitalized as the team was able to score four consecutive goals on the Pirates.

Senior defender/midfielder Ashley Beamish scored the lone goal for the Pirates in the 79th minute.

The Pirates have not won a game at home this season in regulation.

The Pirates will play Notre Dame on Friday. The Irish have an overall record of 6-5-2 this season, with a 3-2-1 record in the Big East and third in the National Conference standings.

They are coming into the game on a two-game winning streak.

Two Irish players earned Big East Honors this week with senior defender Jessica Schuveiller winning Big East Defensive Player of the Week, and freshman forward Lauren Bohaboy winning Big East Rookie of the Week.

Bohaboy scored three goals in two games last week, with five goals in her last five games.

Senior forward Melissa Henderson leads the Big East in goals this season, with 11. She also leads the conference in points with 27.

In goal for the Irish is Maddie Fox who has the best save percentage in the conference at .824.

The Pirates hold a 1-16 all-time record against the Irish, including a 2-1 loss on the road last season. The only win for the Hall against Notre Dame was in 1998, with a 3-2 victory.

The Irish as a team lead the Big East in goals with 30, compared to the Pirates' 17.

The Irish are 1-3-2 away from home.

The Pirates will play DePaul on Sunday. The Blue Demons have an overall record of 3-9-1, and are winless in the Big East. DePaul is 1-4-1 on the road.

DePaul is 15th in the Big East in goals with 11, and 13th in goals allowed with 20, an average of 1.54 per game.

Last season, the two teams went into overtime before the Blue Demons scored with just under four minutes remaining for the 1-0 win.

All-time the Pirates are 1-3-2 versus DePaul with the only win coming in 2007.

In order to get back to winning ways Tambi believes the team has to practice finishing and that he has no special preparation for these games, but the team has to "get back to work."

"We take it one game at a time," Tambi said.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu