Students' opinions differ about fairness of homework assignments

While students at Seton Hall have complained about the amount of homework assigned in their courses, a majority have said they find themselves content or underwhelmed.

Freshman Kevin Serillo is among one of the only students who said he felt the homework levels are unfair to students.

"It is sometimes unreasonable the amount of homework certain professors give for just their class," Serillo said.

Many other students disagree with Serillo, such as freshman and pre-science major, Kristina Rodriguez, who said she wishes to receive more homework so she can challenge herself.

"I don't feel like I have enough homework," Rodriguez said. "I get more lectures than assignments and I learn more from assignments."

Sophomore, Nicole Anastasides, said she receives just the right amount of homework.

"The amount of homework I get is fair for the level of schooling I'm in," Anastasides said. "It's all very appropriate."

Some students said they may not be concerned by the amount of homework they are receiving because their majors are not as demanding as other students' majors.

Freshman and pre-science major, Madison Shoemaker, said she is not overwhelmed by the work load yet, although she fears she might be once the first semester is over.

Although Shoemaker is not feeling the pressures of homework yet, she said some of the diplomacy students she is acquainted with are.

"I have teammates [who major in diplomacy] who get a lot more reading than I do," Shoemaker said.

Professor of diplomacy, Elizabeth Wilson Ph.D., gave advice to diplomacy students who may be feeling stressed about the amount of work they receive.

Wilson said that bosses in the fields of government or policy work will never give out notes or power point slides.

"The boss is going to give you a big stack of messy, unorganized data and say ‘Here, make sense of this and tell me what I need to know, and make some power points while you're at it,'" Wilson said.

Wilson said the homework she gives to students will prepare them for this type of situation in the real world.

Professor of educational studies, Joe Martinelli, said the work he gives his students will prepare them for their future.

"All of them are relevant to the real world," Martinelli said.

Martinelli also said his courses are all very practical for students, as are the homework assignments.

Freshman and criminal justice major, Christian Fragosa, and graduate student Marty Cooper agree that all of their assigned work is a fair amount and relevant to their educational studies.

Professor and coordinator of English as a second language, Adrian DeMuro, said homework is essential for students and he never hears any of his students complain about the amount given.

"It's important to assimilate skills from the classroom, outside of class," DeMuro said.

Administrator Peter Hynes runs the tutoring center for students and said he hears complaints from students about homework levels.

"I don't think there is too much homework, it is just an issue of time management," Hynes said.

Hynes said homework just all seems to swarm students at the same time, making school overwhelming.

Lindsay Rittenhouse can be reached at lindsay.rittenhouse@student.shu.edu