Seton Hall should celebrate WSOU's 25 Years of Metal

It has been 25 years since WSOU started spinning metal over the airwaves. Seton Hall's radio station, which has continuously earned numerous awards and accolades over these 25 years, and remains one of the most respected stations in the New York market, deserves not only the University's respect, but the respect of the community at large. Seldom does one see such success, from a student run station no less.

In a time when college radio stations are being put on the chopping block, and sold off one at a time, it is not hard to imagine life without college radio. Stations are viewed more as a burden than as a prize on college campuses. However, Seton Hall should, and must, value WSOU and the students running it, especially as they celebrate their 25th year as a true innovator in college radio, both locally and nation-wide.

Recently, the staff of WSOU celebrated College Radio Day, a project which garnered them national recognition through well-known publications such as USA Today. It is not every day that a student at Seton Hall gets their voice placed on that kind of national forum. It is also not every day that a campus radio station can celebrate 25 years in an active rock format, with a vast and loyal fanbase, and strong history behind it.

The Setonian encourages the entire Seton Hall community to celebrate with WSOU in their 25 years of metal, and take the time, even if you don't like the music, to appreciate the fact that WSOU is a cornerstone of the Seton Hall community, and we hope that the University recognizes that respect that. Without a doubt, WSOU's 25 years is special.