Men's soccer enter matchup with Marquette on five game losing streak

The men's soccer team looks to pick up its first Big East win of the season as they host Marquette on Saturday and West Virginia on Oct. 26 at Owen T. Carroll Field.

The Pirates have lost five straight games, while only winning two of its last 10 games. Seton Hall's last victory came in a 1-0 vicotry over Coulmbia on Sept. 27.

The Pirates will play the Marquette Golden Eagles who have not lost to the Pirates since 2007.In the last three matches, the Pirates have gone 0-1-2 against Marquette.

Historically, Seton Hall has played well against Marquette, losing only one match all-time, a 3-2 overtime defeat last season.

With its best start in conference play in school history, Marquette leads the Big East Blue Division with a 5-0 record and are 7-5-2 overall.

Last week, Marquette freshman David Check won the Big East Goalkeeper of the Week for his 10 saves against Notre Dame and West Virginia. Behind Check's performance, the Golden Eagles earned a 1-0 shutout win over the No. 17 Fighting Irish and a 2-1 victory against the Mountaineers.

Marquette freshman Sebastian Jansson also earned Big East Rookie of the Week for scoring the game winning goals in both of the Golden Eagles' wins.

The Pirates will then play West Virginia on, Oct. 26.

Seton Hall's last win against the Mountaineers came in 2005 with a 3-1 victory at Lubetkin Field on the campus of NJIT.

Last season, an own goal off a Pirate defender's head in the 89th minute forced overtime between the Hall and West Virginia. Four minutes into overtime, junior defender Alex Schoenle headed the ball into the net to defeat Seton Hall, 3-2.

While the Pirates are 7-6-1 all-time against West Virginia, they have dropped two straight to the Mountaineers, losing four of the last five contests.

Heading West Virginia's offense is junior midfielder Shadow Sebele, who leads the Big East in assists and is tied for fourth in goals, both with six. Sebele is also tied for third in the conference with 16 points.

While the Mountaineers are near the top of conference rankings, the Pirates are ranked 14th in goals scored and are last in goals allowed, being outscored 32-16.

In Big East play, Seton Hall has allowed 16 goals, while only scoring three.

In the Pirates' past five games, the men's soccer team has been outscored 21-5. Seton Hall has been shut out twice in conference play, five times on the season, and have allowed six or more goals twice.

Sophomore forward Max Garcia leads the Pirates in goals this season with four, but has not scored in over a month. Garcia's last goal comes off an assist by freshman forward Cody Hess in the 75th minute of the game against St. Peter's on Sept. 12.

T.J. Brennan can be reached at thomas.brennan@student.shu.edu.

Follow T.J. on Twitter @TJBRENNAN_SHU