Are Seton Hall's days in the Big East numbered?

With college football TV rights demanding more and more money these days, it is possible that the Big East Conference will look to add more BSC caliber football schools to the conference and get rid of some non-football schools, as well as ones in smaller media markets.

According to Lenn Robbins of the New York Post, Seton Hall could be one of the teams dropped from the Big East.

Along with possibly removing some teams from the conference, the Big East may look to split into two separate conferences with one including only the BCS football schools.

Between the absence of a football program and being one of three conference teams in the New York Market, Seton Hall is a prime choice to be cut from the league, despite being one of the conference's original teams.

Through the history of the Big East, only one school has been dropped from the conference. Temple, a football only school, was removed from the Big East in 2004 after winning one conference game in two years.

Currently the Big East has not mentioned anything about dropping teams from the conference, but if they are looking to get more competitive in football by adding more schools, it would be more than likely necessary with only nine of the 17 current conference teams playing BCS football.

Stephen Valenti can be reached at stephen.valenti@student.shu.edu