Women's tennis ends season on low note

The Seton Hall women's tennis team ended their regular season with a 7-0 loss at NJIT on Monday.

With the loss, the team finishes with an overall 6-14 record which has not qualified them to compete in this year's Big East Championship tournament.

Freshmen Pui Wing Sher and Rocio Portela earned the victory in the No. 1 slot in their doubles match, topping the NJIT pair of Nina Mayevska and Jana Luste with the score of 8-4.

Juniors Elizabeth Verow and Michelle Weerasinghe were defeated by the NJIT duo of Kuzmenko and MacDonald, 8-3.

In the third spot, Monika Graff and Ana Lidon of NJIT defeated sophomore Karina Cordero and senior Belfin Sunbul of Seton Hall with the score of 8-0.

NJIT was victorious in all single matches over Sher, Portela, Sunbul, Verow, Cordero and senior Slavina Kaplonska.

Sher forced a third set in her match, which she lost by only two points against NJIT's Ksenia Kuzmenko, 2-6, 7-5, 10-8.

Portela lost in two games, both decided by two points, by NJIT's Nuna Mayevska, 6-4 and 7-5.

Sunbul also was defeated in two games by NJIT's Monika Graff, with the scores of 6-4 and 6-0.

The No. 4 matchup of NJIT's Jana Luste versus Verow ended in another victory for NJIT, 6-1 and 6-0.

Codero fought to a third set after winning 6-3 in the second but eventually lost to NJIT's Martina Tripovici, 5-7, 6-3, 10-7.

Kaplonska finished her senior season with a loss to NJIT's MacDonald, 6-3 and 3-0.

This match at NJIT concludes the 2010-2011 tennis season for the Pirates.

Stephanie Vedral can be reached at stephanie.vedral@student.shu.edu