St. John's 'Storms' on women's tennis

The Seton Hall women's tennis team was defeated by St. Johns, 6-1, after sweeping Villanova 7-0 this past weekend, moving the team's record to 5-12 overall and 2-6 in conference play.

On Saturday, the Villanova Wildcats visited Seton Hall having lost eight of their previous nine games. The Wildcats struggles continued as they failed to record a point against the Pirates.

In the No. 1 singles match, freshman Pui Wing Sher beat Mikelle Mancini in two sets, 6-1 and 6-0. Senior Belfin Sunbul did not drop a set in the No. 3 singles match, defeating Amanda Nelson 6-0 and 6-0. Freshman Rocio Portela dropped the first set of her singles match against Allison Solberg 4-6, but came back to win the last two sets 7-5 and 10-5 to take the game.

Sher and Portela teamed up earlier in the day to beat Mancini and Christine Goldberg 8-0, while the duos of Sunbul and junior Elizabeth Verow as well as junior Courtney Kilarski and sophomore Karin Cordero also scored victories for the Pirates.

The Pirates suffered a 6-1 defeat on Sunday at the hands of the Red Storm, and managed to win just one singles game as well as one doubles game.

The Red Storm had been on a four-game losing streak before they squared off against the Pirates, but improved their record to 7-10 with the victory.

Sher secured the lone singles victory for the Pirates, defeating Nevena Selakovic 7-5, 6-0 in the No. 1 singles match. Junior Michelle Weerasinghe won the first set of her match 6-1 before dropping the final two sets 6-4 and 6-4.

The team of Sher and Portela downed Selakovic and Diamond Adams by a score of 8-5 in a doubles matchup, but the Pirates dropped their other two doubles matches.

The Pirates will be back in action this Friday when they travel to Washington, D.C., to take on the Hoyas of Georgetown. The Hoyas have been playing well as of late and are currently riding a three-game winning streak. Play is set to begin at 2 p.m. on Friday.

John Valentovic can be reached at John.valentovic@student.shu.edu.