South Orange resident thankful for return of stolen property

Dear Editor,

I need to thank you and the members of the Seton Hall community. Recently I wrote to you of an issue regarding a missing flag pole that had great meaning to me. I have to admit, that I never expected to see it again, but it was returned to me over the weekend, and I am very grateful.

As I mentioned in my original note, we are not angels. During Lent, and at every mass we ask for forgiveness. There is much we do, without realizing if we are providing harm, but I am impressed and enheartened when people take the time to fix mistakes. Legal systems should seek to reweave the fabric that we have torn, but how many times do we see people, even "leaders" try to limit their liability and shed their responsibility? But that is not the people we need to solve our problems and become our future leaders.

The Catholic priest, Fr. Niall O'Brien who was wrongly imprisoned in the Philippines wore a mass stole that pictured a hand grasping barb wire so the dove of peace could land. It takes a person of real character and courage to go beyond asking God for forgiveness but to seek to take responsibility to make things right.

I am glad to see that Seton Hall has such people.

Regards,

Frank J. Evans

The Setonian welcomes letters to the editor. All submissions must include the authors first and last name and a phone number where the author can be reached. Submissions should be no more than 400 words. The Setonian reserves the right to edit submissions for style. Deadline for submission is noon on the Tuesday preceding publication.
Letters can be emailed to Brenden Higashi, Community & Opinion Editor, at thesetonianopinion@gmail.com.