Satz wins UPS managers contest

Adam Satz, a senior men's basketball manager, won The UPS Store's national managers contest with a $10,000 prize that will go to Seton Hall.

Competing against a duo of managers from Duke, a manager from Elon and a manager from Rice, his being chosen as a finalist merited a $5000 reward to the general scholarship fund at Seton Hall.

After his daily routine as a men's basketball manager and a background of his personal story was filmed and broadcast on the UPS Facebook page, students and members of the Seton Hall community were prompted to vote online.

A Facebook event was also created in support of Satz to encourage people to cast their votes.

Voting ended on April 15 and Satz held the lead for the greater part of the contest. He won with a total of 5,600 votes, approximately 1000 more than the partnership of managers at Duke who came in second.

In his three years as a manager for the men's basketball team, one of his primary duties became film exchange so the team could gain a better sense of their upcoming opponents.

Satz has maintained a GPA of over 3.5 while also being highly active in Seton Hall's sports management program.

"Thank you to everyone who supported me," Satz said in a press release sent out by Athletic Communications. "I found the amount of people who took the time to help, whether they knew me or not, truly humbling."

Men's basketball head coach Kevin Willard said Satz truly deserves the award, though the other finalists were impressive as well.

"Adam is one of the most dedicated and hard-working young men I've ever been around," Willard said. "We couldn't be happier for him."

Gabrielle Kiger can be reached at gabrielle.kiger@student.shu.edu.