Cooperation needed to resolve printer problems

PC Support Services and students need to work together to ensure issues with Seton Hall network printers are resolved as quickly as possible.

The Setonian is not about to suggest PCSS increase the frequency of their printer check-ups. Instead, we ask that PCSS give students clear instructions at every printer on how to contact them for assistance with SHU's network printers.

A quick trip by The Setonian to the Arts & Sciences Building and the Nursing Building found fine print on the bottom of a lengthy poster by the Arts & Sciences printer instructing students to try printing in various computer labs, including those in the Walsh Library and Jubilee Hall. There was no poster by the printer in the Nursing building to assist students and the sign in Fahy Hall did not give students instructions on how to seek printing assistance after the language lab closes.

Students, likewise, need to do their part to inform PCSS lab consultants of technical difficulties with printers so problems may be resolved as quickly as possible and other students will be less inconvenienced than the one who first discovered the issue.

Until PCSS makes it abundantly clear to students how they can inform technicians about printer problems, PCSS and its employees need to be careful about blaming lack of knowledge of problems on students who might be in a hurry to get to class and do not have the time to read lengthy posters on how to print using network printers. We call on students however, to take the time to inform lab technicians, whenever possible, that problems exist so they might be remedied in a prompt fashion.

We suggest PCSS create a "printer support" email and provide either the extension of the PCSS help desk or office so that students who are unable to stop by a lab on their way to class or another destination can notify PCSS technicians of problems.