Women's tennis team struggles in Florida

The Seton Hall women's tennis team traveled to Orlando, Fl., for four matches over spring break. The team opened the trip by losing to James Madison University, 5-2, on March 8.

Freshman Pui Wing Sher topped Kinsey Pate in No. 1 singles in three sets, 6-4, 3-6, 10-8. Junior Elizabeth Verow was the only other Seton Hall player that was victorious, topping Katherine Bulling in No. 3 action, 6-3, 7-6 (3). James Madison won the rest of the singles matches and all three doubles matches to seal the match victory against the Pirates.

The Pirates team came up just short in a 4-3 loss to Sacred Heart University during the second half of their doubleheader. The Pirates (1-9) had to forfeit No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles since they could not field a full squad because of sickness and injuries.

Freshman Pui Wing Sher shutout Kate Donnelly in No. 1 singles in straight sets. Junior Elizabeth Verow took down Gabby Kaldan in straight sets (6-3, 6-1). Sher and Sunbul held a 5-2 advantage in their No. 1 doubles match, but could not hang on as the Pioneers came from behind to win 8-5 and take that match and the doubles point.

The Pirates continued to look for their first victory of the trip on March 9, but were still shorthanded against South Dakota State University. Seton Hall pulled out a 5-2 win to snap a nine-match losing streak. The Pirates (2-9) had to forfeit No. 5 and 6 singles and No. 3 doubles, but won the other five contests to get their first victory since their opening match of the spring.

For the second straight match, freshman Pui Wing Sher did not lose a single game in a 6-0, 6-0 win over Jennifer Blackburne in the No. 1 singles slot. Senior Belfin Sunbul, junior Elizabeth Verow and junior Courtney Kilarski all went into three sets, but found a way to win for SHU. In doubles, the pairs of Sher and Sunbul along with Kilarski and Verow won their matches to get the doubles point against South Dakota State University.

The Seton Hall tennis team looked to make it two wins in a row against Robert Morris University on March 11. The Pirates won their second straight match, a 6-1 defeat of Robert Morris to conclude their spring break trip. The Pirates (3-9) won every match they competed in against Robert Morris.

Freshman Pui Wing Sher continued her dominant spring break trip, taking out Clarissa Chen 6-0, 6-1 in her No. 1 singles match. The game she dropped in the second set was her first concession in three matches on the trip. Sophomore Karina Cordero was impressive in her first match back after injury, winning in the No. 4 spot 6-1, 6-0 over Carla Limon.

"We are playing strong now as a team and it is showing on the court and we would like to keeping building on it," coach Greg Wyzykowski said.

Wyzykowski explained how earlier in the year the team wasn't playing both matches of a doubleheader strong but that changed during the spring break matches. He also praised Verow going undefeated in her singles matches.

"I played well and as a team we got some good results which is a good sign for the rest of the season," Verow said.

The Pirates return to action on Friday, March 18, when they travel to Morgantown, to face off against West Virginia. First-serve is set for 3:00 p.m.

Daniel Simone can be reached at daniel.simone@student.shu.edu.