Clubs should follow ONE and bring bands to SHU

ONE should be applauded for doing what few groups on campus have done in recent years: bring a known band to campus.

While we acknowledge some students may be unfamiliar with Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, this is the first time in recent years that an established band, known within its genre, will be performing on campus.

Other groups, such the Jewish Student Association, have hosted musicians, but few have brought artists who were established before performing on-campus. Mike Posner performed in the main lounge last year after the JSA led the push for a concert, but it was not until after he appeared here that he really broke onto the music scene.

ONE deserves appreciation for their efforts to bring a band as established as Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin when most acts charge fees beyond what the average club's budget would allow. There are, however, avenues for clubs to seek extra funds for a variety of events and, while you might not get a Top-40 act, good bands could still perform on campus.

In our March 3 issue, we were critical of the proposed student activities fee. We recognize the fee would provide greater funding for student groups and organizations and possibly allow Seton Hall to host notable musical acts on campus. The Setonian believes any large concert should be planned by a committee representative of the student body, with student leaders from a variety of organizations, rather than leave it in the hands of any one organization.

We hope other organizations will continue to follow in the footsteps of ONE and bring musical acts to campus, despite any University plans for a large-scale concert. Concerts, no matter how small, are a fantastic way to allow for greater involvement among students who often complain about a lack of weekend events at our suitcase school.