In The Setonian's front page story this week, "Students get plastered," six residents of Serra Hall found themselves sealed into their suite.
The Setonian has serious concerns about how the plastering in of students could have occurred.
First, we would like to know why plaster was left unattended by a Facilities and Engineering employee after repairing a hole in a stairwell. While this might seem to be a simple case of someone forgetting to clean up after themselves, the negligence of an employee led to the creation of a serious safety risk for the students living in 1310 Serra Hall.
Second, The Setonian is troubled by the plastering shut of a residence hall door. While we understand that it was probably done by a student, or group of students, who view their stunt as nothing more than a practical joke, the fact remains that the inability to leave one's dorm in the event of an emergency is a serious hazard.
If a fire had occurred in Serra, or one of the people in the room had a medical emergency, the inability to leave their room could have cost the students their lives. As a result, we are unable to see the humor in what might have been meant as a prank.
We hope the University, Housing and Residence Life and Facilities and Engineering take the episode very seriously and hold all parties responsible accountable for their participation in the incident.