Women's soccer extends Big East losing streak to three

The women's soccer team lost their third straight Big East game with graduate Angelika Johansson scoring two goals for the Huskies defeating the Pirates 3-0 dropping their record to 6-6 overall and 2-3 in the Big East.

Johansson had her first in the 18th minute, when Pirate sophomore goalie Jennifer Pettigrew stepped out of the box to defend, only to have the ball slip past her.

Pettigrew recorded eight saves in the game, despite allowing three goals. Head coach Kazbek Tambi said he would not second guess her decision to step out on the play.

"She's overall had a great season, and kept us in a lot of games," Tambi said.

The Huskies scored early in the second half, with two goals in a span of six minutes. Junior Jessica Shuefelt provided a cross for Johansson in the 63rd minute, and she put it in the back of the net for her second goal of the game. Johansson had four shots to go along with her two goals.

Six minutes later, senior Elise Fugowski put in Johansson's rebound for a three goal advantage.

Despite getting off 13 shots, the Pirates were shut out for their third game in a row. Before this streak, Seton Hall had not been shutout in the nine games prior.

The Huskies had two goalkeepers combine on a shutout, with starter junior Jessica Dulski logging 72 scoreless minutes, while New Jersey native sophomore Ally Mancino recorded 18 minutes. Both made two saves.

Freshman Amie Ruhe led the way for the Pirates offensively with four shots, two of which came on goal. The Pirates had two corner kicks collectively as compared to the Huskie's nine. The Pirates were outshot 25-13 for the game.

"We didn't have enough players coming out and having their A-game," Tambi said.

Tambi gave credit to Connecticut for shutting down star freshman Katie Ritter, who only had one shot on the day.

"She's going to be an emphasis of the other team's defense and trying to deny her."

Against Providence on Oct. 1 the Pirates were unable to tally the tying goal late in the second half and fell to the Friars, 1-0.

In the 87th minute, senior Nikki Gross let off a shot from 20 yards out that went past the right post. In the final minute, Gross took a shot that just went over the crossbar.

"We put on good pressure, but unfortunately we couldn't put it in the net," Tambi said.

In the second half, the Pirates put the pressure on the Friars goalkeeper, Jill Schott, by taking 12 shots, three of which Schott had to make saves on.

The only goal of the game was scored by Friar sophomore Amanda Webster in the 37th minute, when she beat a defender and slipped the ball past a sliding Pettigrew into the net.

In the game, the Hall outshot the Friars, 18-6, while also holding the edge in corner kicks, 4-3.

Freshman midfielder Ashley Clarke led the Pirates in shots with four, while classmate Amie Ruhe had two. Gross chipped in with three, while freshman Meghan Hayes contributed two.

The Hall will next play on the road against Notre Dame on Oct. 8th.

David Rind can be reached at david.rind@student.shu.edu.