Dr. Wankel offers safety tips for the Halloween weekend

Dear Students,

Halloween is this weekend and that means that you are likely to be out visiting the city and/or going to parties. It's a fun holiday, but it's also a good time to remember some simple things that you can do to help keep yourself and your friends safe.

The most important factor in mitigating any threat to your safety is to make smart decisions with regard to your own behavior.

•Whether you are on or off campus always stay aware of your surroundings. If you see something that you think is a potential threat to your own or someone else's safety, report it to police immediately

•When traveling to local off-campus locations take SHUFly or the CASE van. You can get more information about these services, including routes and newly expanded schedules, at http://parking.shu.edu/shufly.htm

•If you do travel on foot, don't walk alone, travel with friends and stay in well-lit areas.

•Never drink alcohol if you're driving!

•Remember that drinking alcohol will impair your judgment and ability to react to an emergency situation. Please be responsible and care for yourselves and your friends when you are out.

•A key component of safety is good communication. When you go out, make sure someone knows where you're going, and always keep your cell phone with you.

It's also worth remembering that fall brings shorter days along with cooler weather. Please note that Daylight Saving Time ends on Sunday, November 7nd. After that date, it will be getting dark a full hour earlier, which may influence your routine as you go home from a late afternoon class. For more information on personal safety and emergency preparedness, please visit the Public Safety & Security website at http://studentaffairs.shu.edu/security/index.html

Stay informed, stay safe, enjoy the weekend!

Happy Halloween!

Laura A. Wankel, Ed.D.

Vice President for Student Affairs