Wankel encourages students to find strength in SHU community

To the University Community,

Jessica Moore was a wonderful person. She was a good student whose career plans included working to help veterans. On a Friday night she – like countless other good students – decided to take a break and go to a party at a friend's house. What happened to Jessica that night was truly "random" and "senseless." That is to say, there is no correlation between who Jessica was and what she decided to do last weekend, and what happened to her. In response we feel shock, outrage and profound sadness. Too often society is forced to grapple with senseless acts of violence and when it strikes this close to home it leaves us hurt and shaken.

What actions can we take when confronted by a situation like this?

I want to offer three pieces of advice.

As an administrator, and as a parent, I want to remind all of our students to be careful. Use good judgment, watch out for yourselves, and watch out for each other.

In the days ahead, if you need help, use the resources and services that the University provides. Counseling Services, Campus Ministry and the Priest Community are ready to help students as they work towards healing and closure.

Always remember that the most valuable resource that Seton Hall offers is our community. The thing that first attracted so many of us to Seton Hall was the sense of community that we felt here and our desire to be part of it. Draw on this community and be an active part of it. This community of faith has always been our strength and it will support us all as we move forward.

Laura A. Wankel, Ed.D.

Vice President for Student Affairs