Two finalists named for University Presidency

The search is down to two.

Father Kevin Mackin and Msgr. Stuart Swetland are the finalists to become the next president of Seton Hall University, as announced on the university's Web site today.

Mackin is the current president of Mount Saint Mary College in Newburgh, N.Y. according to the biography on the "Presidential Transition" page of SHU.edu.

He also has a presidential stint at Siena College, which lasted from 1996 until 2007.

As reported earlier by The Setonian, Presidential Search and Screen Committee Chair Joseph LaSala said that each finalist candidate will meet with "various constituencies" throughout the university community.

An agenda of Mackin's visit lists a "Presentation & Open Forum" for students to attend at 10 a.m. on April 23 in the Jubilee Hall Auditorium. His overall visit will be April 22-23.

Swetland is listed as an "endowed chair" in Christian Ethics at Mount St. Mary's University in Emmitsburg, MD. He is also the chair of the President's Committee on Catholic Identity and Mission at the school.

Additionally, Swetland's online biography at the Seton Hall website says he is "a highly regarded and regular contributor to Catholic and secular media outlets."

Swetland will run a similar schedule when visiting the campus but will come to South Orange before Mackin - from April 20-21.

His session with students will be at the same time and location as Mackin's but on April 21 instead.

According to SHU.edu, a survey will be administered both in hard copy and electronic copy so that feedback can be given from the university community on each finalist.

Brian Wisowaty can be reached at brian.wisowaty@student.shu.edu.