Disappointing season ends in another blowout

To end their 2009-2010 season, the women's basketball team lost their fourth straight game by 20 or more points on Monday to No. 12 Georgetown, 71-49

The Pirates finished the season 9-20, 1-15 in the Big East, and sit No. 16 in the conference. This was the worst in conference season in team history.

Down 6-3 in the opening minutes, Hoya guard Sugar Rodgers hit a deep three in transition to put Georgetown up 9-3.

Guard Monica McNutt hit a three on their next possession, which was then followed by another three by Rogers, putting the Hoyas up 15-3.

Junior Ebonie Williams broke the Georgetown run with a three pointer of her own, but the Hoyas followed with three more consecutive threes, to push the score to 24-6 with remaining in the first half.

The Hoyas hit a total of nine three pointers in the first half, and 13 in the game which set the all-time school record for most made three pointers in a single game.

Georgetown led the Pirates 41-15 at the half.

In the second half, the Pirates managed to get within 22 points of the Hoyas but could not muster a late comeback.

Rodgers led all scorers with 24 points, leading to her fifth Big East
Rookie of the Week award.

McNutt tallied 14 points, while forward Latia MaGee had 10 points in the Hoya win.

For the Pirates, senior Nicole Emery led the team with 10 points. Junior Ebonie Williams and freshman Terry Green both had nine points for the Hall.

Sophomore Kandice Green had seven points to go along with 10 rebounds.

The Pirates dropped their home finale on Feb. 27 to the No. 7 Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 72-47 on Senior Day.

Before the game, the Hall recognized the careers of their three seniors, Emery, Ashley Booker and Letitia Curry.

The Pirates turned the ball over 19 times in the game, which led to 19 points for the Irish.

The Hall could also not contain the pressure Notre Dame put up in the paint.

There was a consistent hole underneath the basket for most of the game, leading to 50 points in the paint for the Fighting Irish.

Notre Dame also had nine offensive rebounds which led to 12 second chance points.

The Pirates struggled on offense as well. As a team, they shot just 38.2 percent from the floor and only 18.2 percent from beyond the arc.
Williams led all scorers with 13 points, while Kandice Green had 12 and Terry Green had 11.

For Notre Dame, guard Lindsay Shrader had 12 points, while fellow guard Melissa Lechlitner racked up 11.

The Pirates return to action on Friday to play Syracuse in the opening round of the Big East Tournament.

Tim LeCras can be reached at timothy.lecras@student.shu.edu.