Temple hands Hall first loss of season

The Temple Owls defeated the men's basketball team 71-65 on Saturday night at Walsh Gymnasium.

The loss was the first on the year for the Pirates, who now stand 8-1 entering Tuesday's matchup with Navy.

Seton Hall had a 13 point lead at one point in the second half, however Temple was able to fight their way back into the game.

The lead changed nine times in the second half before the Owls took their final lead with just about two minutes to play.

"Well that definitely showed that we are a fraud right now because we didn't come back and show," forward Herb Pope said during his post game press conference as recorded by Jerry Carino of NJ Hoops Haven. "I'm not saying that we're a fraud but we didn't prove anything yet. We still got a lot more to show and bounce back. I'm extremely devastated from this loss because I thought we had them."-

Forward Herb Pope recorded 13 points and 11 rebounds to lead the effort. He was one of four Pirates to earn double figures in points. The others being senior Eugene Harvey and juniors Jeremy Hazell and Keon Lawrence.

However, Hazell was erratic from the field, scoring 11 points but only shooting 1-11 from three-point range.

"Jeremy Hazell had a bad night, had a rough night for us," Bobby Gonazlez said during his post game press conference, as recorded by Jerry Carino of NJ Hoops Haven. "To beat a team like Temple we need to be clicking on all cylinders. Quite honestly I probably kept him in too long in terms of waiting for him to produce. I just kept waiting but he never broke out."

Hazell led the poor shooting effort for the Pirates. In the game, the team shot just 34.9 percent from the floor and just 20 percent from three-point range.

Lawrence and forward Jeff Robinson (five points in 15 minutes and four fouls) made their Pirate debuts in the game.

Sophomore Jordan Theodore had a rough night on the floor. In nine minutes of action, he missed all three shot attempts and picked up three fouls.

The Pirates will host one more out-of-conference game on Tuesday, as the Navy Midshipmen come to Prudential Center. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

Following Navy, the Hall will host West Virginia on Dec. 26 to open up the Big East season. That game is set to tip-off at 3:30 p.m.

Brian Wisowaty can be reached at brian.wisowaty@student.shu.edu.

Tim LeCras can be reached at timothy.lecras@student.shu.edu.