Run to Remember

Senior Emily Coady participated in the New York City Marathon on Nov. 1, finishing the 26.2 mile run in 5 hours 33 minutes and 2 seconds.

"The marathon went really well. I averaged about 12 minutes and 45 seconds a mile," Coady said. "The last 5 miles people could track me online so they said I actually shaved time off of my mile."

A consistent runner for the past four years, Coady started training in May of 2009 for the Marathon.

"I was fortunate that I was training long enough that I had a big enough base for my legs to keep up, but I didn't have the distance under me," Coady said.

During training, she started running a few miles for multiple days. She consistently built on her miles every week to prepare her for the marathon. Along with physical training, Coady said she also needed to prepare herself mentally to run.

"I started back in May by buying the book ‘A Marathon Guide for the Non Runner. It is on a syllabus from a class that's taught at the University of Northern Iowa," Coady said. "Two professors take a class of people who have never run more than about 2 miles in their life and train them throughout the course of the semester. The final is tempting to run and it doesn't matter if you finish it. "

During the marathon, Coady stopped at every other station for either water or Gatorade.

"When I stopped for Gatorade and water I would power walk to digest a little bit," Coady said.

To keep up her strength, she ate liquid power bars while running on the track.

"They're these little packets and they're a normal power bar but instead of having to chew it, I just ate it in liquid form so I could just down it," Coady said." They tasted disgusting but I had about 8 of them during the marathon and I am convinced that was the only way for me to finish the marathon."

Coady said no one should fear the marathon, but be open to the idea because it is a great opportunity to show support for an organization and gain respect from your team and coaches.

"So many people won't sign up for a marathon because they're too scared and it's really not scary," Coady said. "The NYC Marathon was so much support with a lot of high fives on the track and the course between you and complete strangers. I honestly would not have made it without the spectators."

Coady signed up for the marathon as an independent runner in order to raise money for Alzheimer's.

"My grandmother passed away in 2004 from Alzheimer's after battling it for a very long time," Coady said. "She lived with us and we took care of her."

In June of 2009, Coady applied to be a part of the charity team for the Alzheimer's Association and was accepted to run with the team Run to Remember along with the 15 other team members in the marathon.

"I applied and got accepted and now follow the regiment. It was all about building your base and building your stamina," Coady said.

By December, Coady is required to raise $3,000 based on the commitment she agreed to with the Alzheimer's Association.

"If I don't raise the $3,000, than I will be charged because I was required to sign a legal document saying I will raise the money to prevent people from backing out and kind of abusing the team," Coady said. "They wanted to make sure that if you're committed to the team, the you're financially committed as well."

Currently, Coady has about $1,200 raised through the donation page on her Facebook group. She is also fundraising with Rita's Italian Ice and with her mother is helping her raise money in her hometown.

Coady is currently in contact with Cryans to help her raise money.
"I'm trying to do an open bar event at Cryans, and I'm hopefully shooting for that to be for the Thursday after Thanksgiving," Coady said.

Coady said she plans to train a lot harder next year for the marathon if she is still in the New York area.

"I definitely wasn't as trained as I should've been or as I could've been," Coady said. "I think next year if I decide to do it again I will be graduated and just working or just doing one thing rather than doing a million things so I'll be more trained."

Jackie DeBenedetto can be reached at jackie.debenedetto@student.shu.edu.