Career Development help students job

The Career Center has planned a series of events for November's Career Development Month.

A wide variety of programs that assist students in learning more about careers and career paths will be offered, according to Nancy Borkowski, senior assistant director for Vocation & Career Development for the Career Center.

"The Career Center identifies dates and topics during the early summer and secures the speakers through our Pirate Mentor program and other professional employer contacts," Borkowski said.

Borkowski said that the Career Center looks at career fields that are popular among undergraduates and try to provide programming in a variety of different fields for students.

Career Development Month programs include a "Six Career Lessons to Know Before You Graduate" and "Lead Your Personal Path: Vocation Calling," which have multiple dates scheduled throughout November.

According to Borkowski, these events focus primarily on developing a personal career plan.

Other programs include a Science Networking and Recruiting Forum, Law School Confidential, and several Roundtable Career Conversations.

The Roundtable Career Conversations series, available in majors for business, education, communication, and others, place students in small groups to meet with career professionals.

"They differ from traditional lecture-style programs in that employers will sit with a group of students to discuss their careers and after about 15 minutes or so, the student group will get up and move to the next employer," Borkowski said.

Borkowski described the Roundtable series as providing students with quality time with each employer in a relaxed setting.

Employers are looking to share experience with students and provide them with advice.

While the events are primarily designed to inform students about career information, they are also opportunities for students to network.

Speakers at Career Development events will include alumni, Pirate Mentors, friends of the university, and general employers with a connection to Seton Hall, according to Borkowski.

While these speakers will not be interviewing students, the speakers will offer advice about how to get internships, and what they look for in candidates.

These meetings give students an opportunity to ask honest questions and gather information that they may not be able to in a traditional interview environment.

It also helps to develop a one-on-one relationship with speakers, Borkowski said.

"Employers come armed with business cards," Borkowski said. "They reach out to students and are very generous in encouraging students to follow-up with them."

Borkowski said that following up with these employers can often lead to informal interviews, shadowing opportunities, or simply having a contact to learn more about potential opportunities in volunteering, internships, or part-time or full-time employment.

All students are encouraged to attend a Career Development Month event for the opportunity to learn more about their career path or network.

Upperclassmen can connect with potential employers and learn about career path, while underclassmen can look forward to more general information about careers and employment organizations.

However, freshmen are also required to attend one program for their University Life class.

"(These programs) help students to increase their interest in a career field or change their mind based on the honest and real-life information that these individuals are sharing," Borkowski said.

The Career Center will also be sponsoring an essay contest, asking students to answer the question: "How does your personal experience of calling and community impact your career choice?" in 500 words. The top essays will be awarded Pirate Gold prizes. Submissions are due to Borkowski by Friday, Nov. 20 at 5 p.m.

Arts and Sciences and Stillman School of Business students who meet with a Pirate Mentor, they are eligible to enter an essay contest, with Pirate Gold prizes for winners.

They have to write a 500-word essay on their academic and career goals, how their experience with their Pirate Mentor helped to clarify or change their goals, their mentor's advice, and their new plans for career goals. The essay has to be submitted to the Career Center by Jan. 11.

For a complete list of Career Development Month programs, students can visit the Career Center Web site. Pre- registration is not necessary for any of the programs.

Brittany Biesiada can be reached at brittany.biesiada@student.shu.edu.