Soccer ends weekend with tie to Georgetown

The Pirates tied Georgetown with a final score of 1-1 at Owen T. Carroll Field on Sunday.

The Pirates record now stands at 4-5-1.
Senior captain Megan Mills scored the lone goal of the game and her first of the season

.
She scored 15 minutes into the game, giving the Hall an early lead.

"I can change the game in the back, but I've never been the one to do it in the front," Mills said. "It was nice to do that for the team."

She headed the ball toward the net off a corner kick from junior midfielder Nicki Gross. Her original shot bounced off the crossbar but she headed the rebound directly into the right corner of the net.

Mills said Gross gave her a great pass and she was going to get the ball in any way that she could.

"I was just thinking, ‘This is going in. This has to hit the back of the net,'" Mills said.
Head coach Kazbek Tambi said he was very pleased with her performance.

"It was a great extra effort," Tambi said. "She works so hard defensively so it was nice that she was rewarded with a goal."

Freshman goalkeeper Jennifer Pettigrew made four saves on the night.

The only goal she allowed came from Georgetown midfielder Caitlin Durkee in the 77th minute.

Durkee shot the ball from about 25 yards out and found the left side of the net.
In two full overtime periods, the Pirates put only two shots on goal.

Red-shirt freshman Stephanie Soma came close to ending the game with a shot in the 101st minute, but Hoya goalkeeper Jackie DesJardin wouldn't let it past her.

At the end of the game, Seton Hall tallied 10 total shots, five corner kicks, six fouls, and one yellow card.

The Pirates travel to the University of South Florida on Friday at 7:30 p.m. to face the Bulls.

Gabby Kiger can be reached at gabrielle.kiger@student.shu.edu.