Additional off-campus housing not in Seton Hall future

Both students and other South Orange residents have said that if Seton Hall were to buy housing in a section of the Village specifically for their students off campus, it would alleviate some of the problem.

Timothy Boisvert, a resident on Seton Place said he thinks a so-called "college street" would help the problem.

"I have sympathy for them, but it's a two-way street. They need to know that they're living in residential neighborhoods," Boisvert said. "I do think that a designated area of housing for students would help."

Robyn Brody-Kaplan, a resident on Seton Place who has filed complaints about her noisy neighbors said a college street would probably make sense.

"Buy a block! Take a whole block, take three blocks, make it all Seton Hall or add more to their campus," she said.

Senior Mike Dinneny an off-campus student who also lives on Seton Place said he feels that something along the lines of a "Frat Row" would "absolutely solve the problem."

Senior Andy Spentzos, an off-campus student who lives on Grove Street said he thinks a frat row wouldn't solve the problem, but would help diminish it in some ways.

"The problem with frat row causes one thing, it says that the problem is Greek Life and I don't want people to assume that the problem is Greek Life," Spentzos said.

While South Orange residents are in agreement with this idea, a "College Street" is not in the university's future.

Although a good idea, Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services Laura Wankel said "any housing the university owns and operates is subject to a whole host of other requirements." She said such an arrangement is not in the schools future because there are many complications with operating off-campus facilities of that kind.
Wankel said she is not trying to take a side in the matter of the ordinance.

"I hope it enables the village to be more vigilant in protecting our students as it relates to health and safety codes of the buildings being rented," she said. "If the ordinance elevates people's sense of responsibility to be good neighbors in a community, I am confident that our students can rise to the occasion."

Carolyn Maso can be reached at carolyn.maso@student.shu.edu.