Students reflect on what Black History Month means to them

The creation of the NAACP, the end of segregation and Jim Crow and the historic election of Barack Obama as the nation’s first Black president, these are just some major milestones individuals celebrate and honor throughout Black History Month. For every person in the Seton Hall community, the month holds a different significance. 

Kazai Drew, a junior mass communications major, said that Black History Month to her signifies a time “allocated to the celebration and expression of Black people and their history.”

“All of our accomplishments, struggles and everything in between is highlighted this month and hopefully invigorates other black people,” Drew said. 

Black History Month not only serves as a reminder of a past history, but also a time to consider how to create a more equitable society moving forward. 

“Black History Month is a time where people of color are reminded of how important we are in shaping the world we see today,” Martin Lucas, a junior IT and marketing double major, said. “The month is a reminder of how we should treat our history everyday.”

image-5
This February, Seton Hall students reflect on what Black History Month means to them. (Photo via BHM Collage pt 2 File Photo)

David Tapley, a Seton Hall alumnus, said that it is important to realize everyday how integral Black people are to the shaping of not only the U.S., but the entire world.

“Black History Month is a time when people of the African Diaspora celebrate the successes of our people and to acknowledge that the United States would not be the first world country it is today without the centuries of free labor provided by slavery,” Tapley said. “Although I think that every day should be used to celebrate who we are as people, no matter your creed or color, I appreciate the special focus on my people during this month.”

Tierra Boyd, a junior criminal justice major, said that Black History Month means a lot to her despite February being a short month. 

“Black History Month to me means a time, even though it is short, where Black people’s inventions, ideas, accomplishments, and even their identities are acknowledged,” Boyd said. “Black history is American history, yet we aren’t taught it in classrooms, so Black History Month is the one time of year, every year, where everyone is educated on black history.”

Amanda Araujo, a junior business finance major, said that it is vital that we as a nation learn to acknowledge and appreciate Black history all year round.

Added Bernie Consalvo, a junior criminal justice major: “It’s [Black history] an inspirational and meaningful story of journey and change that should be shared everyday.”

Sara Attia can be reached at sara.attia@student.shu.edu.