Local bike shop owner killed in motorcycle crash by Seton Hall

A 27-year-old Maplewood resident and bike shop owner was killed in a motorcycle crash near Seton Hall University’s McNulty gate on Sept. 4.

Danny Ives, the owner of the Maplewood Bike Shed, was found unresponsive, lying in the eastbound lanes of South Orange Avenue near the motorcycle and “adjacent to the old main gate to Seton Hall University,” according to a statement by the South Orange Police Department (SOPD). Police are still investigating the accident.

“We’re waiting to get word from the prosecutor’s office,” said SOPD Lieutenant Adrian Acevedo in a phone call with The Setonian Thursday. “It [the police report] is done, but we’re waiting for the okay.” 

Acevedo said that while he could not disclose details of the case at this time, the information regarding the incident should be made available soon.

According to The Village Green, police officers responded to a call at 11:40 p.m. on Sept. 4 of the single-vehicle crash and its lone driver “in the area of Elm Court on South Orange Avenue.”

SOPD said first responders performed life-saving measures when they arrived on the scene, “but unfortunately were unsuccessful” as Ives was pronounced dead at 12:15 a.m. on Sept. 5 by University Hospital.

On Sept. 9, a representative from SOPD said that since the incident is part of an ongoing investigation, the police report and other information would not immediately be made public. The representative said this is standard SOPD procedure for fatal incidents.

Elm Court is about half a block from the McNulty gate and intersects with South Orange Avenue. The intersection of Elm Court and South Orange Avenue is across the street from Seton Hall’s main campus.

This is not the first car accident that has happened in the Seton Hall area. In January The Setonian reported that a student was struck by a car at the intersection of Ward Place and Wilden Place. The student was approaching Farinella Gate when she was hit by a car. She was later taken to a hospital.

Last October, two people were struck by cars on South Orange Avenue within 36 hours, The Setonian reported. Both of the victims—one of them a Seton Hall student—were taken to a hospital.

Marie Leone can be reached at marie.leone@student.shu.edu.