Newark residents will protest ‘police killing’ of George Floyd on Saturday

A Newark political group is planning a demonstration Saturday to protest the death of George Floyd, who died while being restrained by a Minneapolis police officer.

The People’s Organization for Progress (POP) will meet at 12:45 p.m. at the Lincoln Statue in downtown Newark, just over three and a half miles down South Orange Ave from Seton Hall’s main campus. The protest will begin at West Market Street and Springfield Avenue, a few blocks west of Seton Hall Law’s campus in downtown Newark.

Thousands gathered on foot and in cars in south Minneapolis to protest against police violence and call for justice for George Floyd on May 26. (Fibonacci Blue/Flickr)

POP’s chairman, Lawrence Hamm told NJ Advance Media Friday that the organization met via teleconference Thursday and voted unanimously in favor of the protest.

“The circumstances of Mr. Floyd’s death were horrific,” Hamm said. “We’re encouraging every person who is outraged about this murder to join us.”

Floyd, a 46-year-old black father, was arrested in Minneapolis, Minn. on Monday. Video circulated on the internet showed a police officer, Derek Chauvin, kneeling on Floyd’s neck for several minutes, even as Floyd became unresponsive. 

Floyd, who was unarmed and did not appear to resist arrest, was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

Chauvin and the other officers at the scene were fired, and on Friday Chauvin was charged with third degree murder and mansluaghter by the Minnapolis Distrct Attorney’s Office.

The incident has sparked nationwide protests against police brutality and racism, some of which have become violent and led to rioting. Minneapolis and other cities have imposed curfews following days of unrest. 

In a Facebook post, POP requested that all protesters wear masks and practice social distancing.

POP describes itself on its website as “an independent, grassroots, community based, politically progressive association of citizens working for racial, social and economic justice and greater unity in the community.”

Daniel O’Connor can be reached at daniel.oconnor1@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @ItsDanOConnor.

Author: Daniel O'Connor

2 Comments

1. Peaceful protest is a good thing. Its American…..Rioting and damaging our society and property is not OK. It makes matters worse. Everyone, I mean everyone knows that officer is guilty and need to go to prison for life.

Post a Reply
  2. My god when I hear and see this still going on in our community, I think about my sons, grandsons and my godsons I’m in full support of the protests

Post a Reply