Meehan named one of 50 Best Women in Business

NJBIZ, New Jersey’s leading business journal, recently named Seton Hall University Interim President Mary Meehan one of the Best 50 Women in Business.

SEY_3099-1024x665
Sarah Yenesel/ Photography Editor

Following a nomination process, candidates were chosen by a panel of judges that evaluated women based on their professional foundations, community involvement and advocacy for other women. NJBIZ identifies these esteemed women as “front runners shaping the cultural and economic future of New Jersey,” a recognition that Meehan justifiably fulfills.

Once a Seton Hall undergraduate student with a major in sociology and a master’s degree in rehabilitation counseling, Meehan remembers falling in love with Seton Hall as a student.

In an email to The Setonian, she recounted attending Seton Hall with her brother, “My brother and I are both graduates and were first-generation students who fully grasped and appreciated what Seton Hall did for us,” Meehan said.

She continued to describe her further aspirations such as a master’s in Health policy and Management from New York Medical College, a doctorate in Higher Education in Leadership, Policy and Management from SHU, and graduate coursework in psychology at Fordham University. She also worked with individuals diagnosed with chronic behavioral health challenges, operated as a therapist, and later as a CEO of a psychiatric hospital and an acute care hospital.

“It is an honor to be recognized for my work, but we all know that countless women deserve this honor,” Meehan said. She attributed her leadership role at Seton Hall and many other initiatives that have taken place on the main and the IHS campus as putting her in the spotlight for this recognition.

“Leaders are often acknowledged for the hard work of their teams, and so this is truly a recognition for all that the entire community has accomplished over the past several years,” Meehan said.

Seton Hall Interim Vice President Matthew Borowick attested to her achievements as well. “Dr. Meehan is highly deserving of this award,” Borowick said. “It is another recognition of her impressive record of excellence, innovation and leadership at colleges, universities and healthcare systems throughout the nation.”

He included that under her leadership, the student enrollment has continued to rise, a brand new Interprofessional Health Sciences campus has been instituted and strengthened our partnership with Hackensack Meridian Health, and there was a dramatic rise in the number of alumni who financially support Seton Hall.

“Our students can and should look to Dr. Meehan’s award as a reflection of the great strides that have been made by Seton Hall – the educational home they and Dr. Meehan share. An award for our president speaks well to Seton Hall’s place as a leading Catholic university,” Borowick said.

Meehan added, “I would remind students that it isn’t the big things that differentiate successful leaders, it is the day to day commitment to always doing one’s best, and that the key is truly servant leadership—making sure that everyone flourishes.

“Truly great leaders care about the team and put the team’s needs ahead of their own. I have always tried to emulate those for whom I have the most respect, and to avoid the behaviors of those whose actions are destructive and self-serving.”

The award will presented at an annual awards ceremony on March 25.
Meehan, along with four other Seton Hall alumni such as Michelle Davis, Sandra C. Fava Gerold, Shannon K. Fitzgerald, and Lisa A. Gorab will be honored at the event. The ceremony will be highlighted in the April 1 publication of NJBIZ.

Caitlin Gartley can be reached at caitlin.gartley@student.shu.edu.