Comm Arts searches for student reps

The Communication and the Arts Student Board was formed to bring all the student groups together to collaborate and encourage communication. [caption id="attachment_24339" align="aligncenter" width="838"] The College of Communication and the Arts is searching for students to join their new student board.[/caption] The College of Communication and the Arts is currently looking for new members for their student board. They are looking for student organization leaders and they want all organizations within the school to have a voice. Associate Dean Thomas Rondinella explained where the idea for the board originated. “Last year, Dean Yates charged me with establishing the board,” he said. “The hope is that our student organizations will work together on communication and arts service projects to benefit the outside community.” Currently there are 13 members representing the various CommArts student organizations, including student leaders from WSOU, PirateTV, Theatre Council, Graduate Student Association, Gentlemen of the Hall and Brownson Speech and Debate team among many others. The plan is to include as many organizations as possible. Rondinella described how the board planned to find new members. “When launching the student board, we invited the leaders of the various College student organizations to participate,” Rondinella said. “Ideally, those who have attended our meetings are extending the invitation to others via their organization’s communication platforms.” The Student Board has already been hard at work with their inaugural service project for the spring semester in the form of a charity drive for ‘Women Aware,’ a nonprofit organization that provides support to survivors of domestic violence. “The Student Board spearheaded this drive during National Women’s History Month: each organization communicated the details of the charity drive via their individual organizations to reach the campus community,” Rondinella said. “Several large boxes of women’s and children’s clothing, toiletries, baby products, school supplies and household products were collected and sent to Women Aware. The board is now focusing on a CommArts mission project that will likely take place this academic year.” Deirdre Yates, founding dean of the College of Communication and the Arts, also shared her wishes for the board. “The Board serves to foster collaboration and comradery while at the same time advancing our dedication to servant leadership and mission,” she said. “We believe the interdisciplinary focus of our College unites all our programs in the common goal of communicative expression.” Yates concluded by saying that the board works to do all this by working on service and mission projects, like their charity drive. Christopher Matera can be reached at christopher.matera@student.shu.edu and Isabel Soisson can be reached at isabel.soisson@student.shu.edu