Hanlon joins Thering Fund Board of Trustees

The Sister Rose Thering Fund for Education in Jewish-Christian Studies has recently added a new Board Chair, Melinda Hanlon, to their Board of Trustees. [caption id="attachment_23775" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Sarah Yenesel/Photography Editor[/caption] Melinda Hanlon, M.A. ’08, is taking over Deborah Duane’s chair on the Board of Trustees of the Sister Rose Thering Fund at Seton Hall University. According to Claire Giangreco, the fund’s program manager, Hanlon was appointed head after the term of the previous Board Chair was up. Duane states that Hanlon’s nomination was unanimously approved by the Board of Trustees and Hanlon was selected by a nominating committee that selects Board officers and trustees. Hanlon’s nomination came about because of her strategic vision and ability to create and implement meaningful organizational plans according to Duane. In previous years, Hanlon was already involved with the fund and the Board of Trustee which has led to her nomination as well. Hanlon has stepped into the Board of Trustees monthly meetings starting back in 2016 all when coverage for Duane was needed. Hanlon also hosted several events for the fund including Evening of Roses events, the first annual Celebration of Education event and the Ninth Annual Dr. Marcia Robbins Wilf Lecture according to Duane. According to Seton Hall’s website, Hanlon is looking forward to her role as the Board Chair and continuing the vision of Sister Rose to support Seton Hall students. Hanlon held a multitude of different leadership positions including a president, a principal, an educator, and a supervisor. Her most recent experience was serving as the president of the Academy of the Holy Angels in Demarest, N.J. Both Duane and Giangreco commented on their hopes for Hanlon as the new chair. “With Melinda as chair, our Board is eager to continue the work we have accomplished.” said Duane, “As we elect new trustees, expand our fundraising capabilities, award scholarships to a larger number of qualified teacher-scholars and promote the Fund’s mission of advancing the legacy of Sister Rose Thering.” Giangreco has also expressed her expectations for Hanlon, “We have high hopes for Melinda to continue the good work that her predecessors have done in expanding the Fund’s ability to provide more scholarships and outreach.” Although Hanlon is taking over Duane’s chair on the Board of Trustees, Duane still plans to be involved with the Board, according to the Seton Hall’s website. Nicholas Hernandez, a sophomore at Seton Hall University, states that he believes the fund could be beneficial for students to create a dialogue on different religions. “I believe that it is Seton Hall University’s duty to foster these types of conversations between people with different religions” said Hernandez. The Sister Rose Thering Fund provides scholarship funding for teachers who take graduate courses in Jewish-Christian studies, according to Giangreco. The fund has been established at Seton Hall University and has been supporting the Department of Religion since 1993. Elizabeth Rodriguez can be reached at elizabeth.rodriguez@student.shu.edu